The most important part of any makeup routine is the base, when your skin looks beautiful the rest of your makeup can really shine. The best base needs to look just like skin and that means a nice glow from within finish, I also feel like a naturally dewy finish helps anyone look younger and their skin look so much more plump. As someone with dry/dehydrated skin I have struggled with getting my skin and my makeup looking it`s best and I have to say I have tried it all. Some of the tricks I tried along the way have helped and most not so much ,so in this post I want to share my top tips for getting the perfect finish to your makeup.
One of the things I had to learn the hard way when struggling with dry dull looking skin was that above all the skincare and makeup products you use, the most impact on your skin will have changing your diet. Yes you heard me right that 200$ serum won`
t do much for you if you don`t drink enough water or if you keep on eating so much processed and fatty foods.So apart from cutting down (or out) on sugar, dairy and processed fatty foods, here are my top tips for improving your skin from within. I have to stress just how important this part is if you really wish to see a real change in your skin`s overall condition.
- DRINK YOUR WATER. I know we`ve heard this time and time again and still most of us don`t drink enough water. At least for me this is still an everyday battle and I still have to make it a point for myself to drink more water. What I would suggest is having a bottle of water everywhere with you, that way it`s easily accessible but most importantly seeing it there will remind you to keep on drinking.I try and drink about 2.5 l or 84 oz. every day, or as much as I can.
- Start your day with a warm glass of lemon water , the purpose for this is to detox your body. I have read mix comments about this but I fell like at least for me it worked especially when I really got into the habit of doing it every day( it really cleared my acne as well).
- Greens are your friends. The darker and more rich the color of your veggies the more nutrients it has. This will not only improve your health immensely but it will also help in keeping the signs of aging at bay and give your skin the true glow from within. The best leafy greens to incorporate are kale, spinach, arugula.
- Use an exfoliant. I try to use a scrub once a week and I also use a chemical exfoliant toner daily. The idea being that the more dead skin cells you have left on your skins surface the duller and greyer your skin will look , also this buildup of dead skin cells can cause blocked pors and pimples.
- Use a serum for dehydrated skin. Again I really want to stress the importance of using a serum in your skincare routine. Serums are the most concentrated form of treatment for your skin. I know they can be quite pricey ( cuz they use the best and most concentrated ingredients) but they will have a visible impact on your skin.
- Treat your skin to a mask . I never used to use masks and when I started doing them, they really transformed the way my skin looked, felt and most of all how my makeup look on my skin. If you have issues with black heads or you have little bumps on your skin that ruin the way makeup applies you need a charcoal base pore clearing mask, or if you want to give your skin an extra boost you will want to go for a hydrating or brightening mask.
- Use a radiance boosting primer. It`s quite self explanatory I know but I fell like not many of use actually use primers and when we do we usually go for the pore reducing ones. I would recommend trying a hydrating or radiance primer like the one from Clarins or Laura Mercier.
- Add a few drops of face oil into your foundation. This is a little makeup artist trick that has been working really great on my dry skin. I loving using a golden daytime face oil in my foundation since I feel like it gives a healthier color and finish .
- Use a finishing spray with glycerin. If at the end of doing your makeup your skin still looks powdery, dry or a bit cakey I recommend using a finishing spray with glycerin. I personally adore the MAC Fix+ but I have also heard great things about the Tatcha one.
A few extra tips
- Never and I mean never go to sleep with your makeup on. Your skin needs to breathe and recuperate during the night , sleeping with your makeup on will also clog your pores and increase your chances of getting black heads and spots.
- Get your sleep , this period is very important for your skin being the time when it regenerates. Also during sleep your body increases blood flow to your skin and in also produces collagen.